Research, Enterprise and Innovation
The Research, Enterprise & Innovation Programme will create and undertake regional, world-leading, multidisciplinary, collaborative research, to drive an ecosystem of vibrant life sciences & health activity to deliver improved health, wellbeing and prosperity for current and future generations:
- Develop the region as a living laboratory which would allow close to a million people to participate in clinical research and trials offering a unique capability to global companies and indigenous enterprises;
- Kick-start a culture change to ensure the region can capitalise on the open innovation system, to deliver economic benefits and improved health and wellbeing;
- Consolidate and expand successful collaborations and partnership working with the public and private sector;
“The AgorIP project is a positive example of how we are helping to drive forward new concepts and research to grow our knowledge economy”
Prof Mark Drakeford
- The programme will establish the region as a globally significant actor for integrated open innovation in health;
- Innovate within the health and life science sector to develop entrepreneurial and innovation skills;
- Support the development of an integrated framework across the partnership for creation, capture and commercialisation of new knowledge;
- Identify opportunities for the development and retention of Intellectual property (IP);
- Manage and co-ordinate the development of MediPark.
The region needs to sustain and create new employment, whilst at the same time, driving productivity and growth.
If we grow our employment base as forecast to 2030, and over that time return to 90 per cent of the UKs productivity level, where we have traditionally been, then we would be a £13billion economy. If we could match the UK level, we would be a £15billion economy, around 30% larger than if we stand still. Through the R,E, & I programme and its specific projects, we will contribute to this goal. The aim of the R,E, & I Programme is to effectively drive the delivery of R,E,& I activity on behalf of the three partners.
The Llanelli wellness Village is being delivered in partnership with Carmarthenshire Council. Watch the flythrough video here.